5 Tips for Creating Your Own Future
What are you creating as your future? Most people don’t have any idea about what they would like to create as their future. In fact, it is all too common for many successful executives to create strategy for their business, but leave their personal future to chance.
It's more common for people to be quite passive about the future. They see the future as unknowable and an abstract event way out there, that is separate from them. And for them, this is true; this is their reality. They are at the effect of change and never know what is going to happen next. They don't have awareness of emerging trends or what's going on in the world that could impact their future.
The main reason many people fall short of their own ability to consciously create their future is the same reason most companies fail to achieve their targets: they are stuck in the past or the present and cannot see ahead in developing a strategy that can lead and shape the future of new possibilities.
What if you could choose otherwise? Here are some tips that will assure your success.
1. Cultivate a mindset of the future - It is essential to consciously and deliberately create the future and be aware of the future implications for your choices and for everything you do. Your future is something you create with your choices. Every choice you make determines what your future can be. So when you make a choice, recognize what limitations are being generated with that choice.
2. Expand your awareness - It takes the willingness to be aware of everything, which allows you to perceive different possibilities. It also requires you to expand your awareness and develop clarity of vision to see beyond this contextual reality. If you are willing to have the awareness to know what is happening and where you are going, you will be able to consciously create your future and generate something different. As Lewis Carroll said: If you don't know where you are going, then any road will get you there.
3. Keeping an eye on the Big Picture - cultivate an ability to be aware of future trends and how these trends may affect you and how you can leverage off them. Rather than closing your eyes to forewarning indications and hoping that things don’t change too much, you must be willing to break with your fixed points of view and your conventional practices and discover different ways of seeing the world
4. Embrace Change - Be willing to recognise that changes in the future can be disruptive. The changes that are taking place globally are unprecedented in their scope. They are generating unlimited opportunities and inimitable threats. If you can perceive these changes as strategic advantages and opportunities, you will be more likely to recognize a new possibility.
5. Be on the creative edge in the present - Being on the creative edge means you're always in a mode of question, choice, possibility, and contribution. That's the place you need to live from. Your questions will assist you to see things through the lense of curiosity. Your choice creates the future every time you choose, you make a choice today and the future gets created by that choice. Possibilities are endless, only limited by your already formed points of view of what must be. Everything is a contribution, if you are willing to be aware of this and leverage everything to your advantage.
You have to create today in order to have what you want tomorrow.
Note: If you're interested in learning more about what it would take to consciously creating your future, contact us. We can share more specifics and tools to assist you to live from the generative edge and create your future with awareness.